Let me guess…
You have a killer idea for what to sell on Amazon. You have found a supplier with excellent prices and lightning-fast shipping. You have built a vivid plan of how to succeed.
Suddenly it turns out that the product or brand is gated and everything fails…
In this article, I’ll share the step-by-step process on how to ungate brands, ASINS and categories (even if you’re a beginner) for free on Amazon!
Relax. All methods are secure and up to date as of 2023.
In addition, I will show you where to source hot wholesale products or how to dropship with fast delivery and perfect quality.
Table of contents
- Part 1: What is the meaning of “getting ungated” and what do Restricted categories or brands mean?
- Part 2: What does it mean to ungate Nike, Adidas, Lego, Gillette or another brand on Amazon?
- Part 3: How Do I Apply To Get Ungated On Amazon for free?
- Part 4: How Long Does It Take To Get Ungated On Amazon?
- Part 5: 7 bulletproof tips on how to increase the chance of getting ungated on Amazon (10 years of online sales experience)
- 5.1: Find a quality supplier (Super-high priority)
- 5.2: Order at least 10-15 pieces of the product and take a photo of them
- 5.3: Do not use an editable format for the invoice
- 5.4: The invoice must contain contact information
- 5.5: The more contact methods you leave for the provider, the better
- 5.6: Strive for perfect performance metrics for a lightning-fast approval
- 5.7: If Amazon refuses to ungate you, send a request again after a few days
- Part 6: Well-known (and reliable) brands and suppliers
- Part 7: Amazon ungating services – are they worth it?
- Part 8: Outro
Part 1: What’s the meaning of “getting ungated” and what do Restricted categories or brands mean?
Some categories, brands or products are restricted for newbie sellers.
It’s just that Amazon wants to make sure that the merchants who are selling on the platform are trustworthy and provide high-quality products. This is why it’s not allowed to create an account and start selling them right away.
There needs to be a filter.
In order to sell in the restricted categories you must:
- Attach an invoice that you purchased the products from a reputable supplier/manufacturer;
- Send documents proving you have permission to sell the products;
- Reach specific performance metrics;
- Have X years of sales history;
- Pay a fee, etc.;
This way, Amazon filters dishonest merchants and saves its reputation (and profits).
Imagine buying an Armani bag and then finding out it’s fake. How much faith will you have in Amazon after this?
Don’t feel like wasting time building a sales history, metrics, and waiting for permissions? We sell developed Amazon accounts with already gated categories/brands and good metrics. View the available accounts here…
The process of lifting the sales restriction in these categories is called “ungating”
It means getting permission to sell them. Hence the expression “ungating”.
Examples of gated categories are:
- Beauty topicals, beauty appliances;
- Accessories, watches and branded clothing;
- Personal safety;
- OTC medicines;
- Kids, Baby feeding;
- Pets, pet care and food;
By the way, some subcategories are also restricted, even if the main category is not
For example, Health & Personal Care is available to sell, but Contraceptives, supplements, OTC medications and others are gated.
Learn more about the restricted products and brands here – sellercentral.amazon.com/help/200164330
Important: Use the AmazonScout Chrome extension (chrome.google.com/webstore/amazon-arbitrage-dropship) to find out if a product is gated while browsing Amazon. Sign up for a free trial here…
Part 2: What does it mean to ungate Nike, Adidas, Lego, Gillette or another brand on Amazon?
You must have come across some of the following:
- how to get Nike ungated on Amazon;
- how to get Adidas ungated on Amazon;
- how to get Lego ungated on Amazon;
Well, it’s the same as ungating a category, but instead of a category, you unlock a brand.
Some brands have so many knock-offs that Amazon simply forbids merchants to sell them without approval. Some of the scammers’ “favorite” brands are:
- Ralph Lauren;
- Dolce & Gabbana;
However, if you have a reliable supplier of the brands, you can ungate them without a problem.
Part 3: How Do I Apply To Get Ungated On Amazon for free?
Ok, now I’m going to share with you how to become ungated on amazon for free!
Relax. I will explain the process step by step so you will be able to do it even if you are a beginner!
If you don’t want to get your hands dirty, check out our ungating service. Usually, within a few hours, the specified categories or brands will be ungated and you will be able to start selling right away. There are also affordable packages with categories/brands, quantity discounts and fast and reliable service.
Step 1: Sign up for an Amazon Professional Seller account
If you want to sell in restricted categories, you need to sign up for the Professional Seller plan for $39.99/month.
By the way, with the Professional plan, you get an API for integration with interesting tools to boost your sales and save you time when it comes to deliveries. We have even selected the top tools here – https://amzexpertassistance.com/amazon-seller-tools/
Learn more about the plans here – sell.amazon.com/pricing#selling-plans
Step 2: Find a product in the restricted categories
Go to “Seller Central” -> “Inventory” -> select “Add A Product”.
Find a product that is in the category, subcategory or brand you want to get ungated on Amazon. Use the search engine and look for a product by name, brand or ASIN.
Step 3: Request approval
Click on “Listing limitations apply” in the search engine. Then on “Request approval”.
Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the application form for your product.
As mentioned before, each application is slightly different. In some cases, you may need to provide invoices or images of the product, so make sure you have all the information you need before you start filling out the form.
OK, what’s next?
In some categories, the application is automatically reviewed and you receive approval quickly. Others are harder to ungate and you will have to send documents:
- Itemized invoice (with contact information for your supplier);
- Letter from the manufacturer/brand owner (if you’re buying wholesale);
- Monetary fee;
- Other documentation or extra information;
The more detailed and accurate documentation you send, the more likely you will be approved. I’ll later show you tricks on how to make the ungating process easier!
Important: Some categories have requirements such as X years of sales history (for example, Fine Arts) or FDA approval (Medical products). So even if you have the perfect documentation, you won’t be allowed to sell in the category/brand if you don’t meet the requirements.
I get a message stating that no new applications for ungating are currently being accepted in certain categories. What should I do?
Oh, yes. The dreaded message…
Sometimes Amazon doesn’t accept new sellers and doesn’t provide much explanation as to why. It is best to try your luck in another category or brand.
Part 4: How Long Does It Take To Get Ungated On Amazon?
“OK, I’ve sent an approval request. How long will I have to wait for a response?”
It depends. Ungating on Amazon can take minutes, hours, or weeks.
For example, a good performance score + good sales history can speed things ups. Big time. The better metrics you have, the sooner you will be ungated on Amazon.
For auto-approved categories, good account metrics may be enough and you’ll be approved within 1-2 hours. On the other hand, in case of bad ones the process will be slowed down.
So, be a good boy and don’t infuriate your Amazon overlords…
Some reasons for a delayed response may be:
- You’ve sent the application during non-working hours. It’s best to do so during US working hours in order to avoid waiting until the next working day.
- Amazon agents are busy. For example, if more approval requests suddenly pile up in restricted categories, agents will need more time to process them and approve you.
- You’ve sent your application in Q4. Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Halloween, Christmas, New Years’, etc. are all in Q4 and they slow things down quite a bit. I’m not saying you should wait until they’re done. Just don’t expect a lightning-fast response.
- The supplier is not authorized by Amazon.
If you have done your homework, within a few days you will receive the coveted email:
“Congratulations! Your selling application for [brand/category name] has been approved based on your performance history!”
If you’ve been rejected (ouch) you will receive an email stating you have been refused and you should try again later.
There will rarely be a reason, but most often it is:
- The service agent might not have been able to verify the supplier information on the invoice (or you’ve sent a fake one);
- There has been a problem with the documents – something important is missing or you’ve forgotten to send it;
- Bad account metrics;
Now is the time to call someone with experience to ungate you on Amazon successfully – aesmart.io! Check out our Ungating service here for more information.
Part 5: 7 bulletproof tips on how to increase the chance of getting ungated on Amazon
Tip 1: Find a quality supplier (Super-high priority)
You are most probably a beginner, so I will tell you things simply – the difference between failure and success is the supplier. The bad one will bury you.
The high-quality supplier:
- Delivers on time;
- Offers quality products;
- Gives good prices and everyone is happy – you, the customer and Amazon;
In short – good performance metrics!
With good performance metrics, getting ungated on Amazon is a breeze. Some restricted categories are instantly ungated with only a good sales history!
Here are some other tips not only for getting ungated on Amazon, but also for keeping your business running smoothly
- The supplier is reputable and popular. What does this mean? Well, for example, there are reviews from customers, well-developed social networks, and an address (and reviews) on Google as a local business. Something like that. Amazon will research your supplier, and if it looks dubious or too inconspicuous online, you’ll likely be rejected.
- Offers support in English. Amazon will contact the supplier by phone or email. It would be great if your supplier and the Amazon agent could actually understand each other.
- Alert the supplier to expect to be contacted by Amazon. Many experienced sellers have told me that it really helps. In this way, the supplier will be prepared and the Amazon agent will receive the necessary answers to ungate you faster. After all, time is money!
- The supplier has a warehouse in the region you are selling in. Fast shipping -> happy customers -> perfect performance metrics! For example, if you sell on Amazon.co.uk, it’s great if your supplier has a warehouse in the UK. If you are selling in the USA, it is best to have logistics centers in strategic locations around the country for fast delivery. I have had cases where the supplier is physically far away, the delivery is delayed and then I get nasty reviews. It’s the worst.
By the way, if you want to contact a dissatisfied customer who has left a bad review, have a look at aesmart.io/pro-services#email-report
Ok, here is more…
- It offers MAP (Minimum advertised price). With MAP, the better seller (hopefully you) wins, not the one who lowers the price the most. MAP guarantees good margins, profits and no vicious price wars!
- It offers Private label. At the end of the article, I have included a list of suppliers who offer Private label + dropshipping! A lot of people choose Private label to avoid having to compete on price or engage in ungating and other nonsense. If your supplier offers it – great. If not – you can become one. In the long run, it always helps when others can sell your products. Think about it.
I can share many more details, but the article is about how to get ungated on Amazon, not about the suppliers…
If you want to learn more, I would be happy to discuss it. For a small fee of course. Learn more about our consultation with professional sellers here.
Tip 2: Order at least 10-15 pieces of the product and take a photo of them
Okay, you have already found a supplier.
Now order 10-15 pieces of the products to receive a finalized invoice. Not a packing slip. Not a proforma invoice. Not an order confirmation.
A finalized invoice!
The finalized invoice is proof that you have paid and that the order is completed! With a finalized invoice, approval is almost certain.
Also, it is best to buy the products from a wholesaler instead of a store (for example, Bestbuy, Walmart, Target, Costco, etc) to get a detailed and finalized invoice. Once you have the products:
- Take some cool photos of them from all angles (mostly of the front and back label);
- Convert the invoice into a file format that cannot be edited (for example, .pdf);
- Send the documents to Amazon and you’re done;
Okay, more about the invoice…
Tip 3: Do not use an editable format for the invoice, the “Bill to” and “Ship to” addresses must match and most importantly – you will have to send the finalized invoice
- Use .pdf, not an editable format like Word, Note or OpenOffice (Important!). They are easily modified and Amazon rejects them. The ideal format for the invoice is .pdf. Period. If you have a paper invoice, it’s best to scan it and attach it as a JPEG/PNG or .pdf file.
- It is best if the “Bill to”, “Ship to” and the addresses you’ve entered in your Amazon account match. Many sellers confirm that with this your chances of getting ungated on Amazon skyrocket!
- Send the finalized invoice (super important). I’m repeating myself, but it is crucial. The finalized invoice is proof that you have paid and the order is completed. In 95% of the cases, this is what it takes to get you approved to sell in restricted categories!
Also, in order to get ungated on Amazon, the invoice must contain all supplier/manufacturer contact information, invoice number, shipping/payment address, date, etc.
More about this now…
Tip 4: The invoice must contain contact information, number, billing and shipping address, etc.
- Make sure that the invoice includes:
- Product Codes (UPC) for each product;
- Packing slip number (if cross-referenced);
- All contact information for the supplier/manufacturer;
- Invoice number;
- Shipping and billing address;
- Date of order;
- Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) numbers or Universal;
- Payment terms and information;
- Itemized list of goods purchased with quantity, size, and weight for each;
In this way, your chance of being approved will be off the scale!
Tip 5: The more contact methods you leave for the supplier, the better
As I’ve already said, Amazon will contact your supplier to find out if you are both good guys or girls.
In the comment section (Optional comments), when submitting an approval request, write:
- The name of the supplier and the company;
- Contact person (most often your account manager/sales representative);
- Business phone number;
- Business address;
- Social media accounts – Facebook/Instagram/Youtube (optional);
It’s best to first alert your provider to expect a call from Amazon before you send the ungating request.
Tip 6: Strive for perfect performance metrics for a lightning-fast approval
With a long sales history and excellent metrics, you just need to click the “Request approval” button and you’re done.
You will be selling in restricted categories, brands or ASINS!
Naturally, in some categories, there will be a need for documentation no matter how great your metrics are.
Okay, here’s what “Good performance metrics” mean:
- Pre-Fulfillment Cancel Rate < 2.5%;
- Order Defect Rate (ODR) < 1%;
- Late Shipment Rate (LSR) < 4%;
Of course, performance metrics are different for the specific restricted categories. Use this as a reference.
Tip 7: If Amazon refuses to ungate you, send a request again after a few days
Nowadays, everything is algorithms and AI.
The algorithm may deny you ungating now but approve you later. It is also possible that the agent (if reviewed by a person) has been in a bad mood that day or has higher requirements than his colleagues. Again, wait a few days and try again.
Small doses of pushiness at key moments always help 😉
If you want to speed up the process of getting ungated on Amazon, it is best to submit your application during regular business hours. Faster communication – faster approval. If you’ve been rejected several times, there is a problem with your documentation or account.
Revisit my tips above to troubleshoot possible issues.
By the way, this is usually where sellers call us to ungate their category or brand via our Amazon Ungating Service. Learn more about how to ungate juicy categories or brands in no time here – aesmart.io/amazon-brand-category-ungating-service
Part 6: One of the fastest ways to get ungated on Amazon – bet on well-known (and reliable) brands and suppliers
Amazon loves well-known suppliers/manufacturers/brands and the chance of getting approved skyrockets in such cases.
And speaking of…
Where do I find products for Amazon?
Here’s a short list of where to find hot selling products for Amazon, WooCommerce, Shopify or another platform/marketplace!
Important: The suppliers are well-known wholesalers (some also dropship) offering recognizable brands, so ungating on Amazon is almost certain.
Part 7: Should I pay for Amazon ungating services?
In principle, you can do it yourself (the whole article was about that), but if you get stuck somewhere or you feel like going through the process, they can be very useful.
For example, our ungating service is specifically for new marketers who want to succeed. If we cannot ungate your category or brand, we offer a 100% money-back guarantee! Aesmart.io takes care of everything – from contacting manufacturers, to obtaining the appropriate brand documents and invoices, and all other rules for approval.
Only legal and safe methods!
We do the same things I’ve shared in the article (+our secret tricks), so you can be sure that everything will be done in the right way.
If you want to skip years of work in creating a sales history and good metrics, we can offer you an Amazon account with unlocked categories or brands
Yes, that’s right.
Check out our Telegram group or this link – aesmart.io/buy-amazon-seller-account for the latest accounts. All of the accounts are vetted, of course. No trash. The accounts are fully verified and ready for sales.
Account inspection via TeamViewer or Anydesk before ordering. No waiting – we have a list of shops which you can view.
Getting ungated on Amazon gives you the opportunity for more sales and a bigger audience, so you’d better act now
As you can see, it’s not that complicated.
It can lead to more profits and less competition. What’s more surprising is how easy some categories are to unlock. You simply click on Request Approval, send the documents and unlock a category that others do not have access to.
Choose your restricted category/brand/ASIN. Find a supplier. Order a few pieces of the product. Send the finalized invoice and photos of the products and submit your application.
With the right documentation and an account with decent metrics, you should be allowed to start selling in no time!
P.S. If you think I’ve missed something or have any questions, please leave a comment below. I usually answer quickly.